Democratic Sen. Tom Carper of Delaware says he will not seek reelection to a 5th term, opening up seat in liberal state. The obvious frontrunner for the seat is Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester, but there have been rumors that she prefers to seek the open Governor seat in 2024, and if that is the case, then the primary for this seat will truly be wide open.
If LBR were to announce she is running, she will likely clear the field and have the primary to herself. But if she is running for Governor instead, here are some possiblities:
- State Senator Bryan Townsend
- State Senator Sarah McBride
- Lt. Governor Bethany Hall Long (if she doesn’t run for Governor)
- Governor John Carney
- Former Governor Jack Markell
- Former Lt. Governor and Attorney General Matt Denn
- New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer (if he doesn’t run for Governor)
- Attorney General Kathy Jennings
- Actor and Delaware native Ryan Phillipe
- Actor and Delaware native Aubrey Plaza
The last two are jokes, but I dare say Plaza would win hands down.
It appears that Carper wants LBR to succeed him. In his speech, he said “We love Lisa. I spoke with her this morning and said, ‘you’ve been patient in waiting for me to get out of the way. I hope that you run.'”
Here is a link to the livestream of the speech: