New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer confirmed last week that he’s interested in running to succeed his fellow Democrat, termed-out Gov. John Carney, though he didn’t say when he’d decide. That was not actually a secret, as Meyer has been laying the groundwork for some time, and his website says “Meyer for Delaware.”
Meyer, who also cannot seek re-election to his current post in 2024 as he is himself term-limited, told the News Journal that he had the “seeds of the campaign,” which he feels is going well. Meyer leads a county that cast about 60% of the votes in last year’s party primary, so that gives him a sizable base of support, though, of course, he won’t get all those 60%.
Who are the other candidates who may run?
- Lt. Governor Bethany Hall Long
- Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester
- Senate Majority Leader Bryan Townsend
- Insurance Commissioner Trinidad Navarro
- Attorney General Kathy Jennings
- House Majority Leader Valerie Longhurst
Indicate who you would prefer in the comments, or suggest other potential candidates.