Delaware United and the H.O.M.E.S. Campaign are petitioning Governor Carney and his Administration to not forget about the homeless during this Pandemic crisis. They are sponsoring a letter writing campaign to urge him to help provide resources to homeless shelters and other providers serving the homeless population in this state to prevent further community spread of the Corona Virus.
Specifically, the campaign is requesting the following:
Provide state-funded hotel/motel vouchers to people who are homeless.
- Expand opportunities for homeless people to access food without being forced into a group setting, which increases the risk of exposure.
- Provide additional resources for shelter and day programs to access the supplies and staffing they need to address the need to clean and sanitize facilities.
- Expand resources for case management and peer support funded by the Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health to connect homeless Delawareans to resources so they can address the problems they face and achieve long-term stability.
- Provide access to testing and healthcare, because many of Delaware’s homeless are currently living in cramped shelters and suffer from limited access to medical care—putting them at high risk for the transmission of COVID-19 as well as other diseases.
- Expand access to permanent housing
If you agree with these requests, please send a letter to the Governor at the following link: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/fund-emergency-shelter-for-homeless
0 comments on “Petition: Fund Homeless Shelters Next”