Earlier this summer, Matt Bittle of the Delaware State News examined the Public Integrity Commission’s database to determine the top lobbyists in Delaware and how much they spend to lobby our state legislators on particular legislation.
I thought I would put that information that he compiled into list form. This is list is up to date as of August 1. The first list is of organizations that did the most lobbying in 2019. Specific lobbyists or lobbying firms acting on behalf of the organizations are included in parenthesis.
- Delaware Healthcare Association — 419 lobbying acts (Wayne Smith)
- Medical Society of Delaware — 221
- Christiana Care Corporation — 192
- Delaware Association of Rehabilitation Facilities aka Ability Network of Delaware — 188 (Ruggerio Wilson)
- Delaware Charter School Network — 169 (Ruggerio Wilson)
As you can see, healthcare is a big issue to lobbyists. But then again, the Delaware Healthcare Association lobbied on a host of issues not related to healthcare, including marijuana legalization and the minimum wage.
The top actual lobbying firms and lobbyists in Delaware are as follows:
- Ruggerio Wilson (Rhett Ruggerio, Kim Wilson, Verity Watson, Tarik Zerrad)[Clients: Comcast, Wilmington, UD, Correctional Officers Association of DE, Punkin Chunkin]
- The Byrd Group (Bob Byrd, Rebecca Byrd, Kim Gomes)[Anheuser-Busch, Dover Downs, Bayhealth, Facebook, DSU].
- Hamilton Goodman Partners (Deborah Hamilton)
- Parkowski, Guerke & Swayze (Christine Schiltz, James Nutter)