Lesley Manor, on 7th Street at Deemer Place in New Castle. The house was built in 1855 for Allen V. Lesley, a surgeon. The house is one of Delaware’s best examples of Gothic Revival, and was once surrounded by scores of acres of countryside. The house is distinctive for having a nightwatchman’s room by the front door, who could summon the doctor for patients in the middle of the night, and for original gas lighting fixtures that date back to 1855, even though gas did not become available in New Castle until 1857. Photo by xzmattzx.