The following list is a pretty much a list of unfinished business of progressive priorities that have been before the General Assembly for some years now. I post this as a starting point for a discussion both here and at an event on Saturday being held by Delaware United on the what our priorities should be for the next General Assembly. This organizing meeting is being held by Delaware United at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Newark community building, located at 420 Willa Road in Newark, Delaware 19711. The meeting will take place at 1:45 pm until 3:30 pm on Saturday.
- Pass the Second Round of the Equal Rights Amendment to the State Constitution.
- Pass some combination of either No Excuse Absentee Voting, Early Voting and/or Mail in Voting. The point is that we must give voters an extensive and convenient opportunity to vote other than on Election Day between 7 am and 8 pm.
- Pass either Same Day Voter Registration or Automatic Voter Registration.
- Amend the Delaware Constitution Article V relating to voter qualifications and empowering the General Assembly to provide for the time, manner and procedures of voting so as to allow early voting, mail in voting, no excuse absentee voting and same day or automatic registration.
- Pass the Lavelle-Simpler PAC Reform Act to prevent the clear violations of the spirit of the law that FORMER Senator Lavelle and FORMER Treasurer Simpler committed in the last campaign.
- Pass the Progressive Tax Reform Act, which would create two new tax brackets above $150k and adjust the tax rates across the brackets accordingly (which would result in tax cuts on the lower incomes and increases on incomes above 250k)
- Repeal the Youth Wage and Increase the Minimum Wage to $12 effective immediately, not in the next decade.
- Pass a Gun Purchase Age Limit (21 years old) with no exceptions
- Pass a Military Assault Weapon Ban
- Pass a Large Capacity Magazine Ban
- Re-Pass a Refundable Earned Income Tax Credit
- Pass Marijuana Legalization. No more incompetent task forces.
- Pass Cash Bail Ban on all nonviolent crimes.
- Pass Paid Family Leave for private employees
- Pass LLC Reform that will fully disclose all individuals setting up an LLC and the source of their funding.
- Pass a Death Penalty Ban
- Pass an End of Life Options Act
This list is not exhaustive or complete, so don’t yell at me for forgetting something. In fact, I encourage you to offer in the comments priorities that I missed.