Buildings on The Green in Dover. The Green was laid out in 1720 as a market square, but was a park by the end of the 1840s. The Green was proposed as a pedestrian area in 1987. In 2013, the Green was made a part of First State National Monument with two other locations, and is now a part of the First State National Historical Park. Photo by xzmattzx.