The Smyrna Opera House, on South Street at Main Street in Smyrna. The structure was built in 1869, and actually never served as an opera house. The first floor contained town offices, a library, a jail, and an engine house. A meeting hall was housed in the second story, featuring long windows along the walls. A Masonic temple was on the third floor, in the mansard roof. The meeting hall was called the Opera House when a wing was added in 1886. Frederick Douglass spoke here in 1880, and Presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan spoke here in 1900.
0 comments on “The Daily Delawhere for October 6, 2017”