The East End Breakwater Lighthouse sits on the east end of the Delaware Breakwater near Lewes. The lighthouse was built in 1886 and was automated in the 1950s. The breakwater was built to provide safe harbor for ships in Lewes Harbor and Delaware Bay. It was the first nonmilitary breakwater in the world, and just the third large breakwater ever, following ones in Cherbourg, France, and Plymouth, England. Photo by xzmattzx.