Before we begin, I want to take this opportunity to thank the candidates who responded to our questions. My hope is that the questions were not simply softballs but that they challenged the candidates to provide meaningful answers and provided real insight into those seeking election to some of the most important positions in the State.
We all know School Board elections do not get the attention they deserve. Hopefully our questions and the candidates’ responses generate more interest
In all, there are 37 candidates still running for election, of those: 15 chose to respond to at least 1 question and there were a few candidates we were unable to reach due to missing contact information and/or requests to their School Districts for assistance going unanswered.
Part I of the responses will include Kent and Sussex County School District Candidates. New Castle County Candidates’ responses will post Friday morning, so keep an eye out!
General housekeeping notes:
For our Kent & Sussex County districts:
- Woodbridge School District – 1 At-Large Seat (2 Candidates)
- Candidates Paul M. Breeding and Darrynn Harris did not respond.
- Smyrna School District – 1 At-Large Seat (2 Candidates)
- Candidates Vetra A. Evans-Gunter did not respond and Karin A. Sweeney did not respond.
- Seaford School District – 1 At-Large Seat (2 Candidates)
- Incumbent Machael W. Kraft and Challenger John P. Hanenfeld did not respond.
- Milford School District – 1 Area D Seat (unopposed), 1 At-Large Seat (5 Candidates)
- Unopposed Area D incumbent Judith C. Purcell responded.
- At-Large Seat Candidate Michael D. McKain responded.
- At-Large Seat Candidates Ronald T. Evans, Michael Firch, Jason M. Miller, and Michael Wells did not respond.
- Laurel School District – 1 At-Large Seat (1 Candidate)
- Unopposed Candidate Linda F. Wintjen responded.
- Barbara S. Erskine withdrew April 13, 2017
- Lake Forest School District – 1 At-Large Seat (3 Candidates)
- Candidates Austin C. Auen and Stephanie Justiniano Johnson responded.
- Candidate Phillip S. Thomas did not respond.
- Capital School District – 1 At-Large Seat (2 Candidates)
- Joan Loewenstein Engle partially responded.
- Andres R. Ortiz did not respond.
- Caesar Rodney School District – 1 At-Large Seat (3 Candidates)
- Tawanna Prophet-Brinkley partially responded
- Alan J. Claycomb and David P. Failing did not respond.
We will start with Milford School District candidates.
Laurel School District Candidates
Lake Forest School District Candidates
Capital School District Candidates
And Caesar Rodney School District Candidates
Thank you for taking the time to do all of this!
Agreed. Amazing the number who didn’t reply. Communication, even with those with whom you disagree, is huge for school board members.
Reblogged this on Exceptional Delaware 2017 and commented:
Thanks to Brian Stephan for getting this out there. I just sent out surveys to all the candidates myself this morning. Like Brian, some of them did not have contact information. Mine will go up the first week of May. Looking forward to the New Castle County post tomorrow!