Joanne Cabry sends this along from the Progressive Democrats of Sussex County:
“Nora and John Whisnant are once again organizing a shipment to refugee camps on the Turkish-Syrian border. Many of you helped fill a 40-foot shipping container last fall. The coats and shoes and stuffed animals we sent didn’t end the atrocities, but maybe they made life a little more bearable for innocent victims of war. And maybe it will make our lives a bit more bearable if we can do something positive in the midst of the turmoil in our own country. (Remember how you felt when you saw the pictures of ‘our gifts’ in the hands of little children?) Please consider collecting items among your neighbors, friends, civic groups, synagogue and church members.
For those who joined here recently there are excerpts from the Oct 30, 2017 News Journal copied below.
I would be very grateful if you boxed clothing and supplies, and labeled the contents of boxes.
- Clothing (new or gently used) – Men and women: Tee shirts, underwear, practical shoes and sandals. Children: Clothing for warm weather
- School supplies – Many children have not been able to attend school for two years. School supplies are a primary focus.
- Food – Non-perishable – Canned food, beans, rice… (Please check expiration date.)
- Toiletries – Soap, tooth paste, tooth brushes, wipes…
- Medical supplies – Portapotties (very much needed), walkers, wheel chairs, bandages…
- Small toys, stuffed animals
- Nothing that needs batteries or electricity
Drop Off Sites
- Dover – Janis and Alan Gaddis, 448 North State Street, Dover 19901, Alan: 732.996.4343; Janis: 201.738.5826
- Sussex County – Joanne Cabry, 10 Sheffield Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971, 302.228.4210. Garage will be open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10 to 3 from April 14 thru April 30. Give me a call if you’d like to drop stuff off another day. Happy to accommodate.
- Don Peterson, Chair, Social Justice Committee of Unitarian Universalists of Southern Delaware. Please email Don for dates and times of drop off: email@example.com
Thanks for announcing this. Are there any drop-off sites in NCC, or is there a fund to donate money to for transport of the goods or purchase of additional items (check by mail?).
Nora Whisnant of the Delaware Chapter of Palestine Children Relief Fund is organizing the event. She can fill you in on upstate locations and information on sending a check by mail. Thank you!