Top level Edit: Remember the names of our Republican State Senators who signed on to a letter to Senator Lamar Alexander expressing their support of DeVos:
- Senator F. Gary Simpson, R-SD18 – Senate Republican Leader – Delaware
- Senator Greg Lavelle, R-SD4 – Senate Republican Whip – Delaware
- Senator Anthony Delcollo, R-SD7
- Senator Ernie Lopez, R-SD6
- Senator Brian Pettyjohn, R-SD19
As expected, a deadlock 50-50 tie in the Senate on confirming Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education was broken by the Vice President, confirming the new Secretary of Education. Someone who couldn’t answer a question on student proficiency vs student growth is now the leading “educator” in the United States.
Factoid of the day: since the SecEd post was created in 1980, the combined No votes for all nominees in the last 37 years: 44. No votes cast today on a single nominee: 50.
Edit: I’m sure the following table had nothing to do with the “Yes” votes from these Republicans, although I give credit to Lisa Murkowski. She had to know her vote wouldn’t stop the confirmation, but she said “No” anyway.