If you’re still wondering if Trump’s tweets and comments are random acts of a delusional mind, please put those thoughts and your stethoscope away. Unless you think it’s contagious.
Quotes from Steve Bannon’s interview on Wednesday:
- “The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile”
- “I want you to quote this. The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”
- “The elite media got it dead wrong, 100 percent dead wrong,” Mr. Bannon said of the election, calling it “a humiliating defeat that they will never wash away, that will always be there.”
- “The mainstream media has not fired or terminated anyone associated with following our campaign. Look at the Twitter feeds of those people: they were outright activists of the Clinton campaign.” (He did not name specific reporters or editors.)
- “That’s why you have no power,” Mr. Bannon added. “You were humiliated.”
- Asked if he was concerned that Mr. Spicer had lost credibility with the news media, Mr. Bannon chortled. “Are you kidding me?” he said. “We think that’s a badge of honor. ‘Questioning his integrity’ — are you kidding me? The media has zero integrity, zero intelligence, and no hard work.”
- “You’re the opposition party,” Mr. Bannon said. “Not the Democratic Party. You’re the opposition party. The media’s the opposition party.”
Discrediting the media is job #1 for Team Trump. Oh, and despite what the article says, Bannon isn’t parroting Trump. Trump is parroting Bannon. It’s deliberate. It’s the strategy.
And someone should remind Steve Bannon about Spiro Agnew’s war on the media, and Richard Nixon’s war on the media. Poking the hive is not smart.